I need to thank my friend Soumen Saha, PMP, who is my inspiration to do this certification.Thanks to yahoo groups and friends.
I have decided to write PMP in June 2010, became a PMI member and fortunately changed the company. I thought of going for CAPM even though I can write PMP. I have gotten my 35 contact hours from Proxalt.com.
Review on ProXalt: This is the cheapest way to get 35 contact hours. First you need to go thru their chapter wise presentation and try to understand and then there is an exam after each chapter with an approximately 15 questions. They will give you 3 chances to clear each chapter.
They give you on the fly explanation on the each chapter, and that explanation doesn’t help you pass the exam. Before, you attempt chapter wise exam; you need to study respective chapter from PMBOK and then attempt. There are fare chances that you can clear an exam very easily.
I got my 35 contact hrs in Aug and immediately I submitted my CAPM application to PMI and got approved after 4th day. I have selected my exam date in Nov and postponed to December, Jan, and finally to Feb 21st. On Friday, 18th I got a confirmation mail from Prometric said that my exam is confirmed on 23rd. I really got so much angry on PMI for changing my date from 21st to 24th.
I spoke to customer care and did not work well. They told that the center is closed due to president day, and other people said that due to systems up-gradation. I don’t like 24th because I need to apply for 2 day leave one before the exam and one on exam day and at the same time I don’t want to tell my managers that I am writing exam and want to keep it as surprise. Finally, I decided to give my exam on Feb 24th because there are no more dates until March.
Books and other reference:
1. PMBOK – 2 times and studies some of the chapters more than twice.
2. Rita – 1 time just like that and skipped 2 or 3 lessons because Rita was not covered well and before one month I have gone thru only Rita, and gone thru page by page and answered all questions from HFP and Rita.
3. Head First PMP, Once and was referring whenever I need to understand with examples.
4. I have taken Printout of all Knowledge Area wise ITTO printout and started understanding how I can understand and remember ITTO. I was able to remember some of the ITTOs, but not all. It is very difficult to remember all ITTO.
5. Printed out Page 43 which was prepared in Proxalt.com with colors and pinned at my study table.
6. Wherever I get a chance to solve a question, I did it.
7. I used to read at least 1 or 2 hours every day (Definitely not continuously on everyday, I did it only after Aug) and used to read on the weekends if it works. I am a family person and I was for long weekends.
I have used www.brainbok.com and it is helpful.
8. I convert my ITTOs understanding into short script on each chapter and used to explain to my wife. This helped me to remember most of the ITTOs.
5 days before:
1. I bought “http://www.pmexampreparation.com/” CAPM 5 day license cost $30.
This is very good product, and my CAPM exam looks like “www.pmexampreparation.com” exam simulation. They have 700 + question. I was writing Process Group, chapter wise exams, they have 3 full exams with difficult, medium and easy.
I bought this simulation because I don’t know how are CAPM questions, but solved so many PMP questions, and I know the difficultly. This simulation really helped a lot before my exam.
1. I saw some of the questions are wrongly framed.
2. Some of the questions are not having reference Answers.
3. There are just providing PMBOK page number for explanation as Answer. This really doesn’t help me much as per my understanding. I would expect they need to explain why the answer is correct like “PM FASTrack”.
4. I thought that I can write Full Exams day before my exam. Website was working fine until Feb 22nd midnight. I woke up on Feb 23rd, and I thought let’s start the Full exam.
DAM ! Website was down, and it said that domain was sold to some other person. I thought that I am done and definitely I would fail CAPM exam. I called their customer care and no response. Luckily, Ihad mail reply to one my feedbacks, and sent a mail and the problem was resolved in 1 hr time. I was very happy that movement.
We really should not worry about small mistakes. I have provided my feedback with them whenever I come across these types of questions. Hope they will correct it.
2. Pmstudy.com, CAPM free exam ( http://www.pmstudy.com/enroll.asp#CAPM )
4. I have answered all 150 + questions from PMFasTrack “Framework and PM Processes”.
One day before:
1. I have written difficult and medium from http://www.pmexampreparation.com and got 80 + % and 70 % respectively, reviewed my answers and learned new things.
2. ITTOs understanding.
3. Slept at 1 AM. Most People told that we needed to go to bed early day before the exam. Somehow, I was reviewing some of the topics.
On the Exam day:
My exam is at 1 PM and it is just 5 mins drive from my Home.
Woke up at 8 AM, and glanced at ITTOs, reviewed my notes and gone thru http://www.brainbok.com at least for 1 – 2 hrs.
I had my lunch and reached prometric center at 12: 30 PM and prometric center has only 4 seats and has a glass wall and can be seen from both sides.
I have shown my Driving License, Credit Card and my passport. She took my sign on Exam terms and conditions.
I was inside the room before 1 PM. She said BEST OF LUCK and left my place. Everyone was telling that we would get 3 papers and pencils. Unfortunately, I got one erasable pad, issue paper and erasable marker. I was disappointed how I can enter all Formulas and Page 43. Somehow, I have written Page 43 and Formulas. Entering Page 43 will really help you during answering some of the questions. I never used other side of the erasable sheet before if I turn whatever written will be erased. Whenever I was solving MATH exams, I used only 2 “ x 3 “ space.
1. Exam was not really touch. After writing a couple of question, I thought that I would definitely pass. After 100th question, I was thinking 50 – 50 %, and I took a break at 2 hrs for 5 mins.
2. When I was writing last 30 questions, I thought that would pass.
3. Completed exam in 2: 30 mins (I know that I was not really very fast), and I was taking my own time answering some of the questions. I reviewed all my marked and answered my unanswered questions and changed answers and realized that I made the mistake after I came home.
I clicked on END EXAM when time was 2 mins 40 sec left. I answered their survey, SCREEN WENT blank, finally; I saw “congratulations”.
I checked my chapter wise proficient, and I was very happy that I am proficient in some of the tough area like COST, TIME, Quality, Procurement, HR, and Risk etc.
Hooray ! I am CAPM certified. I turned my head and said, I did it with exam in-charge.
1. If you are writing CAPM, try to understand ITTOs, remember and you should be strong in basics.
2. Read Head First PMP first and then PMBOK and solve the question from HFP and Rita questions.
3. Learn from Lessons/Failures. Whenever you write exam / answer any question and prepare notes on important points.I have created for some of the chapters and used it day before an exam and before going to exam.
4. If you are writing CAPM, you don’t really require reading Rita more than once.
5. Join in Yahoo groups like PMPExamForum,pmpbest and PMHub etc.
6. Register for Question In Inbox “http://www.effectivepmc.com“.